Monday, April 02, 2007

I'm not ready to say goodbye

I just got some disturbing news today at home. I called to chat with my mum only to hear from the maid that she was on the plane to Bangkok. At first I didn't think much of it until I called her again when she landed. Apparently, my dad woke up at his apartment in Bangkok feeling very breathless. Thank god he got help to bring him to the hospital before anything else serious like passing out happened. The doctors still don't know what is wrong with him but as we all know, my dad is a SUPER addicted smoker. He's been smoking since he was 13 for god's sake! It's actually a miracle that he is still alive. Despite the occasionally ballooning operations or contant massive amounts of pills he has to swallow, nothing serious has happened since his heartattack in the 1990's.

The lungs and the heart are more or less connected I suppose. My dad has been coughing for quite some time now so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that something like this happened. It's just that at times like this I really wish I could be there. He sounded fine over the phone munching on his steak. Don't ask me why they serve steak to a man who was breathless this morning in the hospital, they just do! HAhaha...but I just want to be there you know? Just being there in person will makes me feel like I can help in some way? At least I probably will understand my dad's condition better when I hear what the doc has to say, not that I'm an expert or anything.

I really am not ready to say goodbye yet. I really want to graduate ASAP! At least I want to take a photo with my dad on my graduation day with the USYD castle behind us. Let him see me in a graduation cap or something....

8 Comments:

Blogger sereneannabelle said...

CHOY DA GA LAI SEEE!!! haha i think it's spelt that way anyway.

dun anyhow say lar!!! your father will be fine. u should like, scold him or something so he stops smoking. i read a journal on smoking like last sem and no matter how old the person is it's still going to increase lifespan when a smoker quits!! and ask ur father to start exercising!!!

and hor...what toking you la.

THE LUNGS AND THE HEART ARE CONNECTED.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhaa...i've given up trying to get him to stop smoking...i'm been doing that my whole life already and it has nv worked...

and my dad's only form of exercising is GOLF. nothing else. hehehee...

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...its possible to quit even if the habit has been on for ages...they will get scared n den really quit....heh....

lyk my ah ma who has been chain smoking all her life....she stopped after her 2nd operation.....got scared i guess....hee...which is good! cos they never listen when u ask them to stop...

anyway i spelt it as 'beginings'....din look wrong to me! dats y i was contemplating between 'beginings' , 'begining' instead....haha..

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHhaa...if only my dad will get scared enough to stop...haiz...he nv listens when we tell him not to smoke? If he can be eating steak in the hospital on the same day den I dun tink he was scared in anyway lor...

Happily munching away on his steak that he kept laughing and trying to push the phone to my mum when i called! At least that part of him hasn't changed abit! tsk tsk tsk....its up to him le la...

He did try other stuff like nicotine patches and all but all din work for him...

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha....think those r jus some medical gimmicks la...anyway ur dad is doing biz ya.....quite diff for a biz man not to smoke actually cos need to socialise ya......maybe he cant really help it oso....cos if he dun smoke u n ur bro have no money to study,.....haha!

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAA!!!! wao..tat's the 1st time someone tells mi that if my dad dun smoke den mi n my bro got no money to study...

I guess it's all somewat connected la..i can't really tell since i'm not in his head! kekkeee...

9:13 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Nah! he's just lazy to quit the habit. As simple as that! My friend who has been trying to quit smoking since eons ago also all talk no action... -__-" So i guess its just another 'comfort zone' that they refuse to give up. what is his take on smoking anyway?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno actually...i jus know that he has been smoking since he was 13 and that's it...plus the places and entertaining that he has to go through with ppl smoking, it difficult not to smoke along with them?

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home